The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1961 Imperial Front brake grabbing
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

rexc
Posted 2024-05-19 8:57 AM (#635267)
Subject: 1961 Imperial Front brake grabbing

Gang,

I am hoping that someone can help me with a very annoying problem I am having with my '61 Imperial. When I am traveling at very low speeds, such as approaching a stop light or pulling into the garage, the left front brake grabs and sometimes locks down. It releases completely if I put the car in reverse, but it is precarious pulling into my enclosed driveway. This does not happen when one is driving at speed. I have done everything I can think of, such as replacing brakes hoses, replacing brake shoes, replacing wheel cylinders. After performing any service the problems stops for a few hundred miles but always returns. All components in system are relatively new. My only guess so far is that there is a lot of brake dust in the drum when I remove the drum, and this seems to be causing the brakes to grab, or at least when I clean it out, it usually helps for a while. Is that it, or do I have some imbalance in bleeding cylinders? Any suggestions are appreciated! I have not had this problem with other Mopars, so I don't know what to do. Rex
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ronbo97
Posted 2024-05-19 9:42 AM (#635268 - in reply to #635267)
Subject: RE: 1961 Imperial Front brake grabbing

Expert

Did you replace the brake springs ? With both drums removed, do you notice any inconsistencies between one side and another, such as springs attached in different locations or springs of different lengths between one side and another ? Were both sets of shoes on both sides replaced at the same time ? Have you had both drums turned ? Just some things to check out.

Ron

rexc
Posted 2024-05-19 12:19 PM (#635269 - in reply to #635268)

Ron,

Thanks for these suggestions. Everything has been replaced except for the brake springs. That could be a possibility. Shoes seems to create excessive dust, which is why I replaced both fronts.
56D500boy
Posted 2024-05-19 4:21 PM (#635273 - in reply to #635269)

Expert 5K+

Brother Rex, I feel your pain. The center plane brakes on my car have had several incidents of grabbing/locking up. Most recently, it really locked hard on the right front and I ended
up having to removing the drum (to check things out) and then totally backing the adjustment off to get the car back into my tiny 12 x 20 garage.

When I really examined the problem, the wheel cylinders were not very happy. I bought new ones from Rock Auto but decided to clean and "hone" the existing cylinders (and then rebleeding, etc.)

One thing that was contributing to the locking issue was I had not changed the return springs on the right side so that could have been the main problem (I have to kick my @ss on that)

Once I rehabbed the wheel cylinders and put new return springs on the right side (I had done the left side a few years ago - no idea why I didn't do both sides at the same time)
and bled and adjusted the brakes, the Center Planes weren't too bad.

My thread about the wheel cylinders (started in 2018 and then updated in 2024 with new wheel cylinder PNs from Rock Auto):

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=67884&...

Once I got through that and made sure that the brakes had NOT BEATEN ME, I decided to carry on with a swap to front discs using a Scarebird bracket that was originally
intended for 57-61 Mopars (maybe even 61 Imperials - I do NOT know).

I got one side converted before I had to leave for Europe for 5 weeks. That trip is just about over and when I return, I will complete the conversion (I need to do the left side now).

The disc brake conversion thread:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=76959&...

Left side (before conversion):

Scarebird conversion (with modified bracket) 95% complete on right side:

mikes2nd
Posted 2024-05-20 3:17 AM (#635277 - in reply to #635267)
Subject: Re: 1961 Imperial Front brake grabbing

Expert 5K+

Time to swap... AAJ makes a kit i think... and head over to the imperial groups.

Let me know as I will need to do the same on my 60 Imperial

rexc
Posted 2024-05-24 3:47 PM (#635354 - in reply to #635273)

thanks so much for the reply and links to your problem. I have owned several of these cars and never had this problem with any of them I am going to try replacing the brake springs, and it sounds logical that that could be the cause. I have also wondered if the build up of brake dust is causing this, but replacing the springs is easy enough.

Let me know how you like your conversion. I had a 60 NY'er that had the conversion, done by someone else, and I never felt that I had good brakes. I know lots of people convert the fronts. I am going to go in and read the whole saga you have been through. There is no fun like having your brakes lock when you are pulling into a tiny garage, so I also fee your pain.

Thanks for the help!

REx
ronbo97
Posted 2024-05-25 12:04 AM (#635366 - in reply to #635354)

Expert

No need for an expensive disk brake conversion. Just get yours working. Excessive dust ? Where did you buy your brake shoes ? The dust shouldn't be a factor in brake behavior.

Please post photos of left and right sides. A lot of times, springs are mounted incorrectly because people don't consult the shop manual beforehand.

Ron

Edited by ronbo97 2024-05-25 12:11 AM
sermey
Posted 2024-05-25 4:44 AM (#635368 - in reply to #635277)
Subject: Re: 1961 Imperial Front brake grabbing

Expert

mikes2nd - 2024-05-20 9:17 AM Time to swap... AAJ makes a kit i think... and head over to the imperial groups. Let me know as I will need to do the same on my 60 Imperial

Swap is best you can do, Mike. Before measured 2.4Nm, now 4.2Nm. With disc brakes nearly had a fatal crash! And think not only on your car (or on money), but as well on your own!

It's done in one day.  - SERGE -

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)