Re: [Chrysler300] '57 Chrysler instruments

Re: [Chrysler300] '57 Chrysler instruments

Owen and ALL

I have disassembled restored numerous sets of 57/58 gauges. The ring you
refer to is glued in. Take a propane torch
and heat up the ring all around. It does not take much. Then push out with
a small screw driver from the inside. To do this the gauge must be
disassembled first to access the inside edge of ring.
As far as a seal, I assume you mean the one between front housing and the
plastic lens? There is no seal between back of front housing to rear
housing. The seal is like a rubber band made of a gray rubber that over
time deteriorates and oozes onto the gauge face and turns hard as a rock.
Several years ago Larry Jett told of a trick he learned, (from his wife)
to use 409 cleaner to dissolve the hard goo. I have a set of 58 gauges I am
restoring now and to remind myself how well it worked I took a rag and
soaked with 409 and with a little scrubbing it came off. If you are
disassembling the gauge do the cleaning after as there will be more caked
on around the perimeter that you do not see.
The same goo will be in a grove that received the edge of the gray band I
refered to. It will also be hard as a rock. That is best removed with a
small screw driver like tool. I scrape around the grove to remove the major
portion and finish up glass beading the balance as well as the entire
housing to remove all dirt and old paint.

A FEW TIPS:
1) New seal. I use o-ring stock. I believe 1/16". You can cut a strip of
rubber the correct thickness and width. Need to make sure it seals against
plastic face as that is what keeps dirt and dust out of gauge.
2) The chrome ring is very thin brass. Easy to damage so easy does it when
you start pushing it out.
3) Caution the chrome house as they can trash the delicate rings. You may
consider leaving the cleaned housings so they can set the ring in to polish.
4) Caution the chrome house to only "flash" plate the ring. The rings are a
close fit. To much chrome and they will not seat into housing. Been there
done that.

Hope this helps,

Gary, The Parts Doc

At 12:50 PM 04/05/2004 +1200, Owen & Jo Grigg wrote:
>Hi
>Need some help on removing the chrome trim rings from speedo, clock and
>oil/temp instrument housings on a 300C. They appear to be glued(?) in
>there. I'ved attempted to soak them in mild solvents to dissolve the glue
>without any joy.
>Also noticed they have some sort of seal where the front part of the
>instrument housting joins to the rear, anyone replaced these? With what?
>Thanks.
>Owen

>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>For list server instructions, go to