From: Richard Osborne [mailto:richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 9:47 AM
To: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Chrysler300] G Freeze Plugs

Good Afternoon,

Yesterday afternoon we (Tom Miller and I) finally fired the G for the
first time. About 4 to 5 minutes into the cam break-in, it spewed a
freeze plug from the right side cylinder head.

After a few adult beverages and a cool down, I easily popped the
offending plug from the head. I was surprised to find a "flat" expansion
plug. By this I mean that it doesn't have a flange.

I just got back from Car Quest with a couple of similar style plugs. Am
I correct in understanding that the insertion method is to "ping" the
center of these to make it expand and seat propperly? After looking at
the previously installed vs. the uninstalled, this appears to be the
case (I paid the machine shop to do this about 3 years ago, so I wasn't
the original installer.).

Also, are these to be installed dry? It appearas as though the machine
shop used some sort of tacky yellow colored stuff on the plugs when
installed? Does this make sense. Of course, the machine shop was closed
by the time all of this happened.

Please advise if the concave shaped plugs are meant to be installed by
hitting in the center as to expand the plug and if you recommend
installing these dry or with some sort of sealer?

I may try to put a temporary rubber plug in just to see how many others
will pop out during operation. I'm not too sure I can get it in. We'll
see.

Best regards,

Richard Osborne

Yahoo! Groups Links