Re: [Chrysler300] Paint advice - Single stage or Base/clear?

Re: [Chrysler300] Paint advice - Single stage or Base/clear?

Ryan, I am like you I do all my own painting my self  on the door jams ,
under the hood etc.  I still have my cars painted with Acrylic enamel .
I know show cars look much better with clear coat but if there is ever
any damage your in deep trouble.   My son had his 72 Challenger painted
the B5 Blue with clear coat.  It looked great until one night the car
was parked next to a apartment building and the wind blew a whole bunch
of shingles off the building and they landed all over his car.  They
left scratches down to bare metal in some places.  The apartment owners
said would pay for the repair.  Well we took the car to 5 different
paint shops. Two would not even touch it.  The next one wanted $10,000.
They said with clear coat the car had to be stripped to bare metal and
starting all over.    The remaining shops wanted $ 7000 and $ 8000 to
sand the car back down.  With those estimates we took them back to the
apartment owners to see.  The next words out of his mouth was"Sue  me".
He thought we could get a Macao paint job for $149.95.   So we sued and
lost.  Now we are stuck paying out of our pocket.  If we had a old style
paint job there would have been much less trouble and costs.
I understand when painting a metallic silver paint is  to keep the paint
stirred up all the time and don't stop until done.
We all have seen cars that are 5-10 years old that look like 60 years.
My 300F still has a decent Black paint job after all these 43 years.
Just my 2 cents worth.  Gary Barker

Ryan Hill wrote:

>I'm finally back at the '65 300 project after many months of distractions
>and I'm looking for some advice from those of you with a good understanding
>of paint products and systems.
>
>In an effort to keep an original look to my car I had planned to paint the
>entire car using a single stage acrylic enamel. I have painted everything
>but the outer body myself with this in mind and am now ready to do the final
>sanding, cleaning, and masking so I can drop off the car at the body shop.
>
>The painter I have chosen has expressed his concern about painting the car
>with a single stage process given that the color is 'silver mist' and it can
>be a very difficult color to spray on evenly. He is a very experienced
>painter and his work is very nice but I am wondering if I should take his
>advice and allow the car to be painted with basecoat/clearcoat to ensure
>even color? Material cost is not a concern here but I am concerned about a
>few things.
>
>How compatible will base clear be with the acrylic enamel in my door jambs,
>under hood etc? Do modern base/clear paint jobs tend to last as long as a
>single stage enamel. Can base/clear be repaired as easily as acrylic enamel?
>Can silver paint be as much of a problem to spray as I've heard? I didn't
>really have any discoloration or an uneven look on any of the areas I
>painted. I get scared when I look at the factory base/clear on my '90
>Lebaron GTC fogging and peeling while the 39 year old paint on my other cars
>could still be polished to a respectable shine.
>
>Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
>
>BTW - I recently recieved my black leather bucket seat covers from Legendary
>and I am very impressed with the workmanship. We'll see how they look and
>fit when they're installed before I give too much praise but they exceded my
>expectations so far.
>
>Ryan Hill (Vancouver, B.C.)

>Add photos to your messages with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*
>http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>For list server instructions, go to http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm
>Yahoo! Groups Links