Re: [Chrysler300] Clocks

Hi Dan,  The clocks are wound electronically every 2 minutes.  If the
clock is not keeping correct time , say its running to fast.  When you
pull out the stem to reset the hands, it also will reset the speed and
will slow it down.  It takes several times but the next time it might
not be  as fast as before, so every time you reset the hands to the
correct time it helps adjust the speed.    I hope this helps.    Gary Barker

jlsavard@xxxxxxx wrote:

>In a message dated 5/27/2004 2:02:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>dan300f@xxxxxxx writes:
>
>Hi  all:
>
>Can someone enlighten me as to the theory of operation of the  clock in a
>300F.
>
>More specifically, I noticed when I had it apart, that  when you pull and
>turn
>the rod to adjust the time, gears are also engaged  to adjust fast or slow.
>Just doesn't make too much sense to  me.  Does someone out there in 300 land
>now
>about these  clocks?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Dan Reitz
>Northridge,  CA
>
>Dan,
>The idea is to make the clock "Self-Regulating".  The assumption is  that if
>it runs slow, you will be setting it forward to make it read  correctly.  When
>you do that, the clock balance wheel is adjusted to  make the clock run
>faster.  Using the same reasoning, if it reads too fast  and you set it back, the
>balance wheel is adjusted to make it run more  slowly.
>It may take a few settings, but the clock will eventually keep reasonably
>good time.
>Mechanical clocks never did work very well in cars because of temperature
>change and shock from bumps.  Imagine how much trouble it was in some cars  that
>had the clock mounted in the glove compartment door...  I don't know  HOW
>they kept them together!
>Joe Savard
>Lake Orion,  MI

>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx