[Chrysler300] rear end - reply.

Hi Ben , and list:

Funny - I made the same mistake with my gold "G" when reassembling it. After
three miles, I toasted the rear. Lesson to be learned: immediately fill the
rear diff. when reassembling...  as, three months or more later, when
finishing the car, it's easy to forget.

Ben, the big question is whether your car has a Sure-Grip or not.  Also, are
you SURE it's a 3:31 in the car?  Reason I ask is because many 300F's were
coded 3:31 on microfilm, but actually had 3:23's installed.  Also, the
3:23's are a lot easier to come by than the 3:31's . To determine which you
have, remove the center section and read the ratio, on the side edge of the
ring gear. It's clearly stamped.

If you are lucky, and your car has an open  (non Sure-Grip) rear, and if you
can use a 3:23, then the good news is that there are plenty of THOSE around.
Murray Park is your best bet for a used unit.  Just detail it  (wash the gas
in gasoline to remove all the crud); put in a new pinion seal , and swap 'em
out. There is so little difference in ratio between a 3:23 and a 3:31
anyway...

Listmember Dan Jenks near Buffalo, NY is also quite adept at rebuilding 8
3/4 rears. Contact him at : for26hemi@xxxxxxx

Sincerely, and I hope this helps to get you back on the road ASAP.

John Hertog
occasionally lame-brained in Sag Harbor NY