Re: [Chrysler300] Color Sanding / Polishing advice requested.

Re: [Chrysler300] Color Sanding / Polishing advice requested.

Ryan,
When you apply paint ,containing metallic particles, the solids tend to
sink into the paint layer leaving some of the more transparent layers
above. When you wear some of that layer away by buffing the surface you
will likely change the color in that spot. Maybe you could scuff the
surface with Scotchbrite and shoot a coat of clear over the dull spot, ask
a knowledgeable painter first about compatibility issues.

Mike

At 04:33 PM 6/28/2004 -0700, Ryan Hill wrote:
>Hi group,
>
>today I brought my freshly painted '65 300 home from the paint shop and it
>sure looks good. I finally get to begin reassembly as soon as it
>cures.(think I'll start laying out the wiring tonight) I'm really happy with
>how straight the car turned out seeing as I did all of the bodywork myself.
>
>Unfortunately though, there are some areas that ended up with 'orange peal'
>and I wonder if any of you can offer some words of wisdom as to how I should
>approach color sanding and polishing the paint once it cures. In some places
>the paint is also looking a little 'dry'.  Should I even attempt it given
>that the paint is silver and is a single stage acrylic enamel?  I've color
>sanded and polished dash boards and smaller parts before with some success
>but worry about wet sanding silver as I've heard it can appear to discolor?
>How can I ensure I get a bright shine and eliminate swirls?
>
>Any help would be appreciated. Also, I'm still in need of a nice glove box
>liner to fit a '65.
>
>Thanks, Ryan Hill (Vancouver, B.C.)

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used