Re: [Chrysler300] Car trailers

I'm learning from the car trailer discussion, and would appreciate input
from the list on the dilemma I am facing in buying a pickup tow vehicle.  I
have owned an 18' tandem axle, solid steel deck car trailer for several
years.  I have only towed it one time using my light weight Toyota pickup
with a small British Jensen Healey on the trailer.  It towed fine, but was
tough on the little 4 cyl.

I want to buy a replacement pickup and am considering a Dodge Dakota, as I
am told they can be used as tow vehicles if equipped with a V8.  Am I crazy
to think a Dakota could safely tow the 300G on the trailer?  Is it
imperative that I go to a full size Ram pickup?

Bob J

The web site www.dodge.com/towing/ would lead one to believe that a Dakota
with 3.92 rear axle ratio will tow 6,010 GTW. This is what I would guess
your trailer and 300G would weigh. The site states a margin of 13% is nice
and I would recommend more. Reason is, Dodge did have a towing guide that I
felt was more realistic and in it they stated (in fine print) that listed
towing capacities were for, as I remember, towing on level ground with no
wind and traveling at sea level. I personally judge towability based on
where I tow and that is from 4,600 ft elevation to very easily 8,000 ft and
then on to 11,000 ft. Flatlanders can tow more with less (until the wind
blows, of course).

Note also the 3.92 ratio. This is where most tow vehicles fall way short. If
there is a 4.10 or better offered, that would be my recommendation for a tow
Dakota (or any other gas or diesel towing Dodge for that matter). Tall gears
and serious towing do not work. If you drive your tow vehicle  25 miles each
way to work every day and tow 100 miles once every six months, the tall
gears are what should be spec'd but do not expect anything approximating
good towability.

I am also a great fan of the weight distributing hitch. This was and still
may still be mentioned in the Dodge literature; I did not see it but would
heartily recommend such for any bumper pull car hauler loaded with a 300G
behind any pickup. Reese weight distributing hitch with the dual cam
Strait-Line gear is what I have used for over thirty years. There are other
sway hitch products available.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used