[Chrysler300] Trailers, Dakota's and Insurance

[Chrysler300] Trailers, Dakota's and Insurance

       Have been reading the postings with great interest as I'm also about
to purchase a car trailer ( more to use for hauling parts car's vs. my nice
ones).

       I'm looking at a 20ft, open, trailer with a steel deck, dual 3500lb
axles with electric brakes on all four wheels. Price new around $2k   Will let
everyone know how it looks when I see it.

       Only thing I've used to tow anything has been my 98 Dakota, 318, er ah
I mean 5.2L  It's a 5spd manual with a 3.91 rear axle ratio.  I had rented a
tow dolly to bring a C-body from California home to Arizona and it pulled that
car up and over the mountains with ease.  Although I was warned against
towing with a "small" pickup, the electric brakes on the dolly stopped it all with
ease.  I often found myself travelling way to fast to be safe and had to
remember I had 5000lbs or so pushing me from behind.

         I've got a friend with a 97 Dakota with 5.2L and 5speed and he
confirms its a much better towing rig than his 99 Durango with the 360, or 5.9L

       As for insurance... whatever policy type you've got you've got to
refer to it for any questions of coverage. Refer to sections titled something like
" your covered auto" and then most importantly the "exclusions" section.
This is where you'll find all the ways the insurer lists their way out.  Whether
it be a "speed contest" or "timed event"  ( watch out for those vague
definitions and never make assumptions ) you'll find your answers right in your
policy.

       Any questionable definitions should prompt you to make an inquiry and
get a response in writing.  E-mail is great for quick turnaround time. NEVER
EVER take for granted what your agent tells you. He is not a claims expert and
your fate is determined by the claims department.  Should a loss occur and not
be covered and you have a written indication from your agent to the contrary
you can always make a claim under his E&O  (errors & omissions) policy.  Most
agents don't even want the average customer to know this type of coverage
exists to cover them for screw ups.

       Take it from someone with over a dozen years with all aspects of
claims handling for a large insurer and now working on the collision side of the
industry...  just when you think you've seen it all along comes another atrocity
commited by some large company.  In the last six months I've seen an insurer
tell my customer that they arent going to cover the damages to her vehicle
because the driver wasnt listed on the policy...  fine... but the vehicle was
stolen.  The police recovered it and the theif and the exclusion in her policy
states there's no coverage if a driver isnt listed.  The thief wasnt listed as a
driver  Crazy huh?  It's going to litigation.

       Another company recently declared that if a customer wants to get paid
for their total loss the customer must provide and or pay for the tow truck
to deliver the car to the insurer. They no longer will send their salvage
company to get it.  Obscene customer service in my book.

       A customer of mine was smart enough to take out a custom equipment
endorsement with his insurance company in the amount of almost $10k for custom
bodywork and paint etc to his late model rice-burner.  They sold him the
endorsement based on receipts he provided for the custom work on his car.  Smart huh?
 Base value of his car was around $12k, add to that the value of the
endorsement and he's got what he thought was full coverage for his $20k investment.
The insurance company has told him that the type of endorsement they sold him
doesnt afford coverage in the event of a total loss and has told him his car
isnt even worth as much as a stock vehicle since there's no "market" value and
it would be harder to sell because there's less of an audience interested in
purchasing it.  Oh well... more money for the lawyers.

       Long story short... when it comes to insurance don't trust you pride
and joy to what someone tells you they think is covered.  Ask specific
questions and get answers in writing,  Documentation is essential, including photos
and receipts.  Learn the difference between "stated amount" and " agreed value".
 For high dollar cars get an appraisal or two at the completion of the
restoration.  Many of us have had our special cars insured for years with the same
carrier. When was the last time  you increased your covered amount of value.
Prices are substantially higher now than 5 years ago.  Be careful.

       Sorry for the long diatribe... hope it helps a few.
Mike Laiserin

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used