Re: [Chrysler300] trailers

I also have towed a 19' 2,600#  boat with a Jeep Wrangler, but only for
very short distances and nevermore.  Very bad idea and boat is now sold
to raise funds for my C-300--an even heavier piece.  On a demo trip
while selling the boat, the boat about pulled the Wrangler into the
river on a slick ramp.  The Jeep is fun to drive and great to tow flat
behind my motorhome but lacking in weight and length for towing.  I saw
a Jeep pulling a short trailer with huge logs on it completely lose it
on a curve in a Denver freeway one day.  The log trailer got to whipping
and bucking and ended up throwing the Jeep into the median after lifting
the rear end of the Jeep off the road.  There is a new "stretch"
Wrangler this year that has a heavier trailer towing rating than the
conventional short wheelbase Wrangler.

Stay safe when trailering.  When the tail starts wagging the dog, it is
hard to recover.

No one has mentioned tires in this dialog, but all tires need to be in
good shape and pressures need to be monitored and even maximized when
towing a heavy trailer.  Heavier load rated tires with stiffer sidewalls
can help minimize sway and improve stability.  That is why duallys seem
to be better for trailer towing.  Fellow RV'ers are not all that
comfortable towing big fifth wheel units or straight trailers with
anything other than the biggest, heaviest pickups.   A 35' 12,000#
trailer can get spooky in crosswinds or on slick stuff.   Note that
maximum load rating is generally at elevated pressures, above where one
would run the tires in an unloaded vehicle.

MoPa'r to ya and keep the shiny side up from

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
C-300

Ken Krull wrote:

>I was hauling my 1936 Desoto  on a trailer with the trailer extending
>past back of car about two feet.  Traffic stopped ahead and the truck
>following did not.  He went over end of trailer and still hit my car but
>only bent the bumper.  If the car had extended past the end of the
>trailer,  the car wouldn't exist today.
>I used my 92 Dakota 4x4 v-8 to tow my 4000 lb boat many years.  Usually
>only about ten miles to lake. Plenty of power, but lacking on stopping
>ability. O.K. for short trips a few times a year.
>One time pulling a trailer with a Jeep I had the trailer steering  the
>Jeep.  You don't want that feeling.
> Ken Krull
>New Paris, In.

>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx