Re: [Chrysler300] Tow Vehicles

This ongoing discussion about towing is very
worthwhile as I am about to embark on a 4200 mile trip
with car and trailer.
In 1997 I rented a Ryder truck and trailer out of
Cleveland Ohio to transport a newly acquired car back
to Vancouver. The car weiged 4000 LBs and the trailer
was rated for 4065. The Ryder agent sluffed it off as
being just fine.The truck was up to the job but the
trailer was not. By the time I got to Billings MT 3
out of four tires on the trailer had schredded to the
point that the steel chords were coming through.
I acquired my own trailer in 2000, a tandem, 3500 Lb
axel 17 foot that I towed behind a 1999 Tahoe. The
Tahoe was upgraded to heavier rear springs and
Michelin 10 ply tires. Its towing capacity was 7500
Lbs,just slightly over the trailer rating, as it
should be. It did an admirable job of towing another
car from Cleveland in 2002 all the way to Vancouver
(2600 miles both ways). That was another story.
I replaced the Tahoe last year with a 2003 Yukon XL
3/4 ton with quadrasteer. Now if I want to tow the
300F I will need to upgrade the trailer as the 300F
will barely fit on it.
Spoke with a fellow two weeks ago who just finished
rebuilding his Dodge Challanger after it, his trailer
and 96 Dakota flipped after doing the wig/wag because
the truck and trailer were not up to the job. He now
has a 3/4 Ram.
Towing is one place where the phrase "go big or go
home" applies.

Paul Martin
Vancouver BC
300F Hardtop