Re: [Chrysler300] Freeze Plugs Continued - Help

Re: [Chrysler300] Freeze Plugs Continued - Help

Okay gang,

I just dug back into the "Old" archives of this list (back when it was
on ClassiCar.com) and found the following post from George Riehl via
John Hertog on 4.3.1999:

   I've just rec'd the following from George Riehl:

     "  There is a lot of discussion on the web site about "fall-outs".
I have had this problem also because NO
 1-41/64" plugs are available. They are replaced with 1-5/8th" ones.
These are just a little too small. I am working with a manufacturer to
re-manufacture 1-41/64" brass plugs. They MUST be used in the early
Wedge blocks. Even coating the core plug hole with #3 Permatex or
silicone does not always guarantee that they will stay in.  This is no
fault of the installer as they are properly pounded in. The 1 41/64" are
somewhat tight to install, but that is the way to do them. "

BTW, if anybody else would like to search this mailing list's archive
prior to what's available on Yahoo Groups, just drop me an email with
what you're looking for.  I have a Groupwise Archive that is indexed and
searchable that goes all the way back to November of 1998.  The Yahoo
Groups list is searchable online at groups.yahoo.com but only goes back
to 8/2/2002.

Best Regards to all,

Thomas F. Miller
tfm@xxxxxxxxxxxx
614.975.4164  voice / messaging
300C & 300M Special

>>> "Richard Osborne" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 8/15/2004 9:11:04 PM >>>

I just finished doing a compression check on the 413 in the G. All
cylinders measured between 130 to 135 lbs. except for cylinder #6 which
measured ZERO. Didn't even get a twitch out of the needle on the
compression gauge. I put my finger over the hole and didn't feel
anything (forcing of air out or suction). It's like there is no piston.

I assume that the valves are stuck open or broke off. I don't know if
it related to the freeze plug popping, but I am still thinking this is
not good.

At this point, I am wide open to ideas, but it appears that the nicely
detailed engine is going to have to come out and be torn down.

Thank you for the feedback I have received so far, I would apreciate
continuing to hear from you.

Best regards,

Richard Osborne

>>> "Richard Osborne" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 08/15/04 01:33PM >>>
Good Afternoon,

While driving home from cruising at the Mopar Nationals last night,
the
right front freeze plug popped from the G's engine block. It was late,
we had the baby in the car and were in a less than desireable part of
town so I drove the 3 miles home, pretty much non stop. We had driven
almost non-stop for 80 to 90 miles at between 50 to 75 mph. It popped
while slightly accelerating to change lanes (very slight acceleration,
didn't even open secondaries).

I just installed a temporary rubber plug in and pressure tested the
system. After 20 minutes of measuring, it dropped 1 psi from 25 to 24
psi. I see in the 1961 service manual that you are to pressurize to 15
lbs. I am not sure of the conversion to psi? My results, however, seem
to be acceptible. Do you agree?

If you remember, a couple of months ago while breaking the motor in,
the plugs in the cylinder heads popped. It is interesting that the
first
plug to go in the head was also right front, coincidence? After
mic'ing
everything, I was confident that the machine shop had installed plugs
that were slightly too small. I have driven the car maybe 500 miles
since fixing the head freeze plugs. The temperature has seemed to be
good, never pinged, never had a problem starting when hot. No evidence
of water in the oil, even now. The same machine shop installed the
plugs
in the engine block. Could this be the same problem of too small
plugs?

I am concerned as the car has now lost several cylinders (I just got
it
out to wash all of the antifreeze off of it). It will not idle now,
where previously, it idled very smooth. It is also backfiring slightly
through the carb (I think right side carb (which feeds the left side
of
the engine), but not sure) a little.

I will pull all of the plugs and do a compression check on all of the
cylinders. Who knows, maybe something will become obvious once the
plugs
are removed.

What am I missing? What else should I be looking at? Can the freeze
plugs be replaced while the engine is in the car? I didn't have time
survey as I need to watch our little boy, he loves riding in the G, so
this is motivation to fix it. No Woodward Dream Cruise for me...

Please advise of your thoughts and experiences.

Best regards,

Richard Osborne
Columbus, OH

For list server instructions, go to