From: john_nowosacki@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:john_nowosacki@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:11 PM
To: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Chrysler300] smelly 62 Torqueflite question

I just changed the in-line tranny filter (after 42 years) on my wifes 62
Nyer wagon and noticed that the fluid is pretty foul smelling, and not as
red as it used to be.  It has turned a little shade closer to brown.  It
still operates perfectly, shift wise, with no slipping or any other
symptoms.  Should I just change out the fluid, or does anyone think there
might be something going seriously wrong in there?  I only changed the
filter because I found one on ebay, and fall is coming, and we're planning a
700 mile or so trip next week.  I don't want to be stuck on the side of the
road and spoil the trip.  Do I just top off the fluid (it was a pint or so
low) with new, or do a full change, including the converter?
Growing up, my dad always got 150,000+ miles out of a TF before driving the
rusted out car to the junkyard with the original fluid still in the
perfectly running tranny.  This tranny only has 100,000 on it, but it is now
42 years old.
Any thoughts?