Re: [Chrysler300] things that go BOOM

I understand fuel pumps can leak into the block under certain
circumstances.  Recent dialog emphasizes likely failure of fuel pump
components not designed for current gasoline additives such as ethanol,
MTBE and TCP.  Anyone else recall TCP?  The technical and generic names
for it?

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
C-300 (Fuel pump rebuild kit in garage, waiting for cooler afternoons to
install)

John Hertog wrote:

>To all weekend diagnosticians:
>
>so... Dave Clelland finally decides to drive his 300G rag somewhere...
>(yes, Peter Fitch, he DID drive it ! ) ...  after a 45 minute ride, he
>arrives at a car show.....  and BOOM. Big explosion under the hood.  Enough
>of a BOOM to wake up the neighborhood; enough to blow the oil cap (breather)
>right off the valve cover, and enough to blow the intake manifold pan ...
>outwards, and cause it to bulge out so far that it actually interfered with
>the throttle linkage under the rams.
>
>Yes, the car restarted and still runs OK; and, yes, Dave does smell gas in
>the oil.  Question is:  how did it get there ???  obviously, there was
>enough of a buildup of gas fumes in the cranckase to cause this explosion.
>
>anyone ever hear of something like this ?  Comments?  Please "reply to all"
>so Dave can read the posts...
>
>John

>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>For list server instructions, go to http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm