Re: [Chrysler300] things that go BOOM

I saw it happen to a slant six back in my high school days, it was in such
bad need of a tune up that it had to be towed into the gas station. The guy
working on it had just managed to get it started and was turning the
distributor and KABOOM. It blew out the dipstick and filler cap and also
curled up both ends of that long slant six valve cover. Shook him up so
badly he wouldn't go near that car, afterwards, I had to finish the job for
him(first thing I did was change the oil).

Mike

At 04:58 PM 9/11/2004 -0700, Gary Barker wrote:
>Oh Yes I have had it happen.  Even though I was an innocent bystander
>when it happened.   I pulled into a friend of mines gas station.  His
>son was working on a new 59 Buick.  He had just finished going to a
>Union 76 Tune up school and then went out and bought a new Sun tune up
>machine.  He was giving the Buick its first tune up. at 6,000 miles.  I
>had just got off of work and was wearing a white shirt and tie.  I
>walked up to the car to see what he was doing.  He told me that he could
>not get the Buick to run.  I asked him what all he did.  New plugs and
>removed the dist. and spun it up on the machine and when he put it back
>in The engine would not start.  Well that told me he had the dist. in
>wrong.  So I leaned over the fender and checked the timing marks and
>they were way off.  So I pulled the dist. out and put the engine on TDC
>and re installed the dist.  So I told him to get in and start it up.
>The next thing I knew was a crowed of people and a ambulance crew
>working on my face.  Well what happened,  he told me later , when he
>couldn't get it to start, they towed the car around the block.  One
>cylinder was so full of fuel it locked up and then broke the piston
>allowing all the gas to go in the oil pan.  So when I timed it right and
>then tried to start it,  the engine completely exploded.  It blew the
>oil pan off,  the valley pan not only blew off it stripped all the
>threads out of the block holes.  Well when I was leaning over the fender
>the oil cap on the end of the oil filler tube was aimed right at my
>face.  That cap hit me right between the eyes .  Broke my nose and
>filled my eyes full of oil and gas.  That was the only time I have ever
>been knocked out cold.  They said I was out for about 15 minutes. and
>when I came too I was really in a world of hurt.  They had to buy a new
>engine for the Buick. It destroyed the one in the car.
>So there is my story. Most of the time your fuel pump will start leaking
>and also dump fuel in the oil pan.  will have the same results.
>          Have a good weekend everybody-   Gary Barker

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used