[Chrysler300] Things that go Boom

It might help in understanding the crankcase explosion phenomenon by
remembering that it only takes a very small amount of volatile fuel in a
crankcase to produce a flammable mixture.  And it has to be just the
right mix of air and fuel and it must have a source of ignition.  Just
like in a power cylinder, if the mixture is too rich or too lean, it
will not ignite.  Perfect mixture and no spark, it will not ignite.  It
is not too hard to imagine a spark from a piston ring in the crankcase.
That is how they wear out, so we must assume that ignition sources are
likely.  Blowby of hot exhaust gases past worn or stuck rings can also
occur, as can small holes in pistons.

Gasoline can enter the crankcase from the fuel pump or past the piston
rings in some cases.  Gasoline washing the oil off the rings and
cylinder walls further increases the likelihood of a spark.  Very small
amounts of gasoline and water vapor from the air are evaporated by the
hot oil and vented without explosion.  We have all observed vapors
coming out of the old oil breathers and crankcase vent pipes and the
vapors are not all oil vapors!   I'm not sure how much air and fumes a
PCV system inhales, but it may be designed to keep the crankcase
fuel-air ratio in the too lean to burn range.

Backfire into oil bath air cleaners can also produce under hood fires.

Bottom line:  Thanks to all who shared their horrible experiences.
There must be many more out there.  All of our 300's are at some risk
and the older ones are probably at the greatest risk due to lack of
PCV's and as mechanical wear and electrical system deterioration
continue.  Learn from these stories and be careful and observant.  Let
these stories cause a little bell to go off when you are participating
in problem-solving.  Keep a couple of small fire extinguishers handy to
minimize damage.

I don't believe they are making any more letter cars so MoPa'r to you in
keeping yourself and your cars safe.

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
C-300

Leggatt wrote:

>Hi All,
>    Dave, I am so very sorry to hear of your misfortune.
>    It appears that Don Verity has zoomed in on the problem but my first
>experience with this was about 1988 in a boat that was brand new in
>1986!. As I was running the oil pressure started to drop off (the gas
>had diluted the oil). I shut it down and the crankcase was over full
>(big time). Of course it was the fuel pump. The alcohol in the fuel
>disintegrated the diaphram.
>    The biggest problem was all the little bits of rubber got into the
>carb. In a boat the fuel filter is ahead of the fuel pump.
>    Since then, I have replaced two rebuilt so-called "alcohol proof"
>fuel pumps on my old cars. The diaphrams in both were shrivelled up and
>disintegrated.
>    Greg.

>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>For list server instructions, go to http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm