[Chrysler300] Crankcase vapor controls?

Dan:

I don't know the complete answer to that one so am forwarding it to the
collective knowledge of the club for their input on transition dates
from breather caps to breather tubes to PCV's

I do recall cars of the 40's and 50's with just crankcase breather caps
on the oil input drop tube really getting grubby from condensed oil
fumes on top and sides of the engines, which then collected dust and
really built up.  Breather caps were routinely cleaned with solvent at
oil change time and we really earned our nickname of grease monkey.
Also, there were consistent black streaks in the middle of gray concrete
roads from the accumulated oil vapors and drips.  These were darker on
the uphill side of grades as the engines were working harder.  The first
rains of fall hitting this grease really generated a slick road surface
(still does).  I believe this was the first and easiest pollution to get
cleaned up with PCV's that ran the crankcase fumes back into the engine
air intake system through a little foam filter that also plugged up.

My wife claimed she could smell the exhaust fumes from my C-300 as she
followed me in our minivan.  Catalytic oxidation of unburned fuel and
computer control of fuel-air ratio have really cleaned up the exhaust of
modern engines.  I got a citation from the Texas Air Quality Board when
someone in Houston snitched on my turbo K-car Chrysler T&C that would
emit a little puff of oily smoke after sitting idling at a stop sign due
to worn seals on the turbo.  I hadda get it fixed, even though it burned
no oil to speak of.

Nasty stuff, those crankcase and exhaust vapors and nasty citizens those
snitches.

MoPa'r to progress.

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
C-300

DH483@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Rich Barber,
>
> Maybe you can put this into perspective for me.  I understand the need
> for a pcv valve, or on the older cars a breather tube.  When did
> Chryslers (and cars in general) start using breather tubes?  How were
> fumes vented prior to this?
>
> Thanks
> Dan Hecker

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used