[Chrysler300] 62 torqueflite rebuilding cost

[Chrysler300] 62 torqueflite rebuilding cost

Hi folks,
Looking for some opinions.
The front pump seal on my wife's 62 Nyer wagon has begun to drip.  100K miles and 42 years old, never out of car.
I guess, since I'm planning on using it as a tow vehicle, and my wife doesn't want to get rid of it, I should really go through it, front to back, including torque converter.  How much should this cost?
I can't see removing the tranny after 42 years and only replacing the front pump seal.  I've heard prices ranging from $700 to as much as $1000 (if you include new/rebuilt torque converter).
I've had very little experience with Torqueflite rebuilding charges, since I've never had to do one!
I suppose $1000 every 42 years or 100,000 miles could be looked at as a pretty good deal, but it sounds steep to me.  Are the parts becoming expensive due to scarcity?
Need to make a decision soon.  Car still runs and drives and shifts well, but leaks don't get smaller, only bigger.
John

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used