Fra: Rich Barber [mailto:barber@xxxxxxxxx]
Sendt: 9. oktober 2004 07:22
Til: Chrysler 300 list service
Emne: [Chrysler300] I'm Positive It's Negative

In studying my 1955 C-300 and my 1955 Chrysler Service Manual, I note a
serious difference.  My car sure as heck has its ground cable connected
to the negative terminal of its 6-volt battery.  Everything seems to
work except the ammeter shows negative amps as it recharges the battery
and the radio doesn't work at all.

I recall there are techniques and requirements of polarizing the
generator and perhaps the voltage regulator, but I would sure appreciate
some input from the fire-by-wire types as to what might have happened to
my car's electrical system and what I should do next.  The car is the
way I got it in July, but anyone could have reversed the battery in the
past-accidentally or on purpose.  It was pretty much stored for 15 years
and the records indicate the battery has been replaced several times.
Assuming positive ground is truly proper, I'd like to make it right, but
am extremely reluctant to just reverse the battery and take the chances
of frying something or everything.

All help greatly appreciated.

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA