Re: [Chrysler300] Hurst gas gauge

To add to this, check the Ohm reading from the connection post to the BODY
of the sending unit. This will tell you that the circuit is complete on the
unit. Then move the Neg lead to any other body ground such as the tank or
frame. Or you can touch the body and the tank and see if there is
continuity. This will tell you if you have a good ground between the unit
and the tank.
All this can be done with out removing the unit.
If the unit fails, remove it and (on most) you may be able to improve the
connection between the resistor wire and the "wipe" that slides across it as
the float moves up and down.

Happy tracing, Ray
Ray Jones, Jones Ridge, in the Ouachita Mtns near rural Mena, Western
Arkansas.
All Y'all come visit, Y'hear? We'll set onna porch and sip a few!

> From: Gary Barker <gbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:55:59 -0700
> To: annbarbq@xxxxxxx, listserver 300 club <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Hurst gas gauge
>

> First disconnect the blue wire going to the fuel tank sender.  With a
> volt meter check the voltage .  It should be pulsating around  5-7
> volts.  If thats ok take a OHM meter and check from the post on the fuel
> tank sending unit.  It should be reading some amount of resistance.
> Maybe between 50-250 ohms.  If there is no reading your sending unit is
> either bad or you have a bad ground on the tank.    Back to the main
> feed wire.  Check your fuses.   If they are good you could have a bad
> voltage regulator that runs the gages.    Good Luck    Gary Barker
>
> annbarbq@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> My 70 Hurst, the gas gauge has not worked for quite a while.  Sticking a
>> wooden stick in the gas filler tube to see if I have much gas left is not
>> very
>> swift! I am anxious to read what suggestions others in the Club have to get
>> my
>> fuel gauge working again.  Steve in Columbus, Ohio. Thank you.
>>

>> To send a message to this group, send an email to:
>> Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> For list server instructions, go to
>> http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm
>> Yahoo! Groups Links