[Chrysler300] 57 C headliner

Hi Gary and group,
Can anyone share with me the secret to sliding the cardboardish spines from the headliner into the top bows before I completely destroy the integrity of the material?
If any of you have done this you'll know exactly what I mean.
The original headliner slid right out of the top bows, while it took all my strength to get the first bow 1/2 way installed and stuck- would go no further, and would not come back off.
Finally got it to back off with much tugging, cursing, etc.  and it's a bit worse for the wear.
I don't believe 'greasing/lubing' it is the answer, as I don't want to stain the headliner or soften the cardboard 'spine' too much.  I thought about talcum powder, but then my wife talked me into sending this email before I destroy the headliner spines and/or the stainless top bows by trying to do this in poor lighting at 10 o'clock at night.
Any help appreciated.
(I suppose there is always the upholstery shop downtown, but since the original came apart so easily I feel I simply must be missing some kind of trick.  It seems like the bows should slide right on the new headliner, but everything is too tight.)
Regards,
John

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used