[Chrysler300] Re: Fraudulent eBay message

[Chrysler300] Re: Fraudulent eBay message

Your comment "This trick doesn't work if the email is sent in just
> plain text (like this one) <grin>." requires additional comment.
Most e-mail programs send and receive HTML-based messages, but the
sender can make the message appear as plain text to the unwary.
Programs such as Outlook Express, Incredimail, etc. are among these.
I don't personally know of a single person who uses a text-only
program to retrieve or send their e-mail, or who has the "text only"
option set for sending and/or reading e-mail in Outlook Express, etc.

The URL can be easily faked in a message which appears to the reader
to be a plain text message.

Mike
--- In Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Thomas Miller" <tfm@xxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> that has been setup to do nothing but collect personal information
for
> the bad guys to abuse.
>
> Here's the URL to a web site that keeps track of and explains how
these
> "phishing" attacks proliferate.  Take a minute and check it out:
>
> http://www.antiphishing.org/
>
> Ok, Ok, I know, I just sent out a link in an email.  Notice in my
first
> paragraph I mentioned that you'll see these disguised links in
*HTML*
> formatted emails.  This trick doesn't work if the email is sent in
just
> plain text (like this one) <grin>.  If you'd like to know more
about
> what goes on under the covers with these types of emails, please
feel
> free to email me directly.  I easily get 6 or 8 of these things a
day
> and disect many of them to figure out just exactly where the bogus
info
> is going.
>
> Ok, in on topic news, it's getting cold here in Ohio and our '57
300C
> is bedded down for the winter.  Our recently acquired 300M Special
on
> the other hand is getting its winter tires mounted tomorrow so we
can
> take on the snow and ice!  Fun, fun.
>
> Best Regards to all,
>
> Thomas F. Miller
> tfm@xxxx

> Chrysler 300 fans:
> Please be advised my previously transmitted message was promptly
> declared fraudulent by eBay.  Their response contained some good
ideas

> and is displayed below.  I have been pretty happy with my ebay
shopping

> and have been able to upgrade my C-300 and lay in some spare
parts. 300

> Club members have been very helpful in this regard, also.
>
> Rich Barber
> Brentwood, CA
> 1955 Chrysler C-300
>
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for writing to eBay regarding the email you received.
>
> Emails such as this, commonly referred to as "spoof" or "phished"
> messages, are sent in an attempt to collect sensitive personal or
> financial information from the recipients.
>
> The email you reported was not sent by eBay. We have reported this
> email
> to the appropriate authorities.
>
> In the future, be very cautious of any email that asks you to
submit
> information such as your credit card number or your email password.
> eBay
> will never ask you for sensitive personal information such as
> passwords,
> bank account or credit card numbers, Personal Identification
Numbers
> (PINs), or Social Security Numbers in an email. If you ever need to
> provide sensitive information to us, please open a new Web browser,
> type
> www.ebay.com into your browser address field, and click on
the "site
> map" link located at the top the page to access the eBay page you
> need.
>
> If you have any doubt about whether an email message is from eBay,
> please forward it immediately to spoof@xxxx Do not respond to it
> or
> click any of the links. Do not remove the original subject line or
> change the email in any way when you forward it to us.
>
> If you have already entered sensitive financial information or your
> password into a Web site based on a request from a spoofed email,
you
> should take immediate action to protect your identity and all of
your
> online accounts. We have developed an eBay Help page with valuable
> information regarding the steps you should take to protect
yourself.

> http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-
reporting.html

> To review eBay's new tutorial about Spoof Emails, please see the
> following Web page:
>
>  http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial/
>
> Once again, thank you for alerting us to the spoof email you
received.
> Your efforts help us ensure that eBay remains a safe and vibrant
> online
> marketplace.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ande
> eBay SafeHarbor
> Investigations Team
> ______________________________
> eBay
> The World's Online Marketplace! ®
>
> Important: eBay will not ask you for sensitive personal information
> (such as your password, credit card and bank account numbers,
Social
> Security numbers, etc.) in an email. Learn more account protection
> tips
> at:
>
> http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-
protection.html

> For our latest announcements, please check:
>
> http://www2.ebay.com/aw/announce.shtml
>
> In order to better serve you, we'd like to occasionally
> request feedback on our service. If you would rather
> not participate, please click on the link below and send
> us an email with the word "REMOVE" in the subject line.
> If that does not work, please send an email to the
> email address below. Your request will be processed
> within 5 days.
>
> mailto:cssremove@xxxx

> Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> For list server instructions, go to