From: <doug_jones@xxxx>
To: <chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 2:08 PM
Subject: [Chrysler300] Question on 413 manifold heat valve

> Hi 300-o-philes,
>
> Still working away on the rebuilt 413 for my '63 Pace Car. My question
is, what should I do about the heat-controlled valve in the right exhaust
manifold? It is free, but swings from open (larger valve surface is 90
degrees downwind to exhaust flow) to past closed (larger of the valve
surfaces points mildly upwind towards the exhaust flow). It is missing the
anti-rattle spring, and the counterweight stop that attaches with the clamp
screw appears to have rusted in two - it's too short to reach the pin. As
assembled when I got it, the counterweight was mounted such that it
prevented the valve from fully opening. That can't be right, can it?

> So should I
>
> 1) Weld the thing open and forget about it?
>
> 2) Try to get new parts and repair it per the factory manual? Where
would I find parts?

> 3) Take off the counterweight and spring and just let the valve blow
itself open when the engine starts?