Re: [Chrysler300] Fuel injection

Hi Folks,

The recent conversations about fuel injection reminded
me that I read an article in the February 2003 of IEEE
Spectrum magazine that discusses the early marriage
(and failures) of electronics and automobiles. The
article includes a black and white photo of a 300D
hardtop. The article starts with mentioning that
today's cars have an average of 50 microprocessors and
that the jump to 42-volt electrical systems is about
to happen. Part of the article mentions the
development of first practical self-starter introduced
in 1912 and the installation of the first
factory-installed car radios in 1923. Then the subject
turns to the Bendix Electrojector system offered on
the 1958 Chrysler products.

According to the article, the Bendix Electrojector was
the world's first electronic fuel-injection system. It
was implemented entirely with vacuum tubes and was
offered as a $400 option on various Chrysler products.
Using only vacuum tubes and other discrete, analog
electronic devices, Bendix had three engineers design
and build a complex, compact system of circuits that
monitored air temperature, the pressure in the
engine's air-intake manifold, throttle position and
acceleration, and status of the engine-combustion
cycle. The circuitry translated these measurements
into specific air-fuel mixtures and cylinder-injection
sequences.

Unfortunately, the amazing devices that made up the
system weren't reliable. Vacuum tubes may have worked
well in car radios, but they could not survive the
harsher environment of the engine compartment. Several
hundred Electrojectors were sold, but almost all were
recalled and the engines fitted with ordinary
carburetors. Supposedly one 300D has survived with the
Electrojector system in tact and working.

While not a very successful development at that time,
the Electrojector did help to get the industry moving
toward where fuel injection is today. Robert Bosch
GmbH licensed several of the Bendix patents for use
during their mid-60's development of a solid-state
electronic fuel injection system.

I hope that this article sheds a little more light on
Chrysler's attempts to be innovative and what went
wrong.

Bruce Paul-Cherry Hill, NJ