Re: [Chrysler300] Fram filters

Hi Gil,
I'll give you an example of how badly Fram oil filters are made. I own a
2003 Dakota with the 360 engine and I changed the oil and filter some months
ago. I installed a new Fram filter, I think it was a PH-23 but don't quote
me on that, anyway it was the correct filter for the truck according to the
application guide. After draining the oil and removing the old Mopar filter
I screwed the Fram on finger tight then used a band type wrench to tighten
it the recommended 3/4 turn. Every thing seemed fine and I drove the truck
several thousand miles without a problem. Then I began to notice some drips
of oil in my driveway and on my garage floor. Couldn't find the source. The
drips got worse. I had to add a quart of oil. Still couldn't find it.

Then oil began to collect on the undercarrige. So I crawled back under and
took a good look. Oil appeared to be dripping from the inside of the
transmission bellhousing. I thought "Oh my God, the rear main seal is out of
it."  I called the dealer and was ready to have the truck hauled to him on a
flatbed. By this time the oil was pouring out of the engine as fast as I
could dump it in. So I gave it one last look this time with the engine
running. I happened to peek in through the fenderwell and caught a glimps of
oil dribbling off the bottom of the filter. A second look revealed a fine
spray of oil shooting from the oil filter on to the transmissiom.

Unbeknownst to me, I had put a small kink in the filter body with the band
wrench. The vibration from driving had spawned a fine stress crack in the
thin metal that got progressively more severe. I replaced the filter with a
different brand and the leak stopped. I cleaned the old Fram filter up and
filled it with solvent. The solvent seeped out of the crack which wasn't
visible to the naked eye.

The metal used to form the filter body was tissue paper thin like an
aluminum beer can. The filter wasn't strong enough to withstand a normal
installation. It wasn't serviceable for its intended purpose. Thats a bad
filter.

I looked at some other Frams and other brands at Wal-Mart and compared them.
Every other brand had a much stronger stiffer body that should be able to
withstand a normal installation. I looked at a Fram PH-8A, the old big block
standby.  It was stiff and strong just like in the old days so maybe thats
why your not seeing any problems, Gil.  But one thing is for sure, I've
bought my last Fram Oil filter.

Larry Johnson

>From: lettercars@xxxxxxx
>To: awrdoc@xxxxxxxxx, FFGREG32@xxxxxxx, Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Fram filters
>Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:24:37 EST
>

>Tell me, how does one determine a brand of filter is bad?   If the proof is
>in lack of engine trouble, then my use of primarily Fram filters for 20-30
>years and well over 100,000 miles on the 300H alone with no failures
>whatsoever
>must indicate they are not too awful!!
>300ly, Gil Cunningham
>Tallahassee, FL