[Chrysler300] A/C Question - reply

Hi Mike,

You state you are reluctant to try the a/c as there is a "good chance" there
is no freon left in it.  I guess that means you really don't know... and you
will need to find out.

The  procedure I believe you should follow is to take the car to a reputable
a/c shop; they will "vacuum out" the system, and at the same time recover
whatever Freon R12 is still in the system. They will be able to determine
exactly how much Freon was left. They will then let the system sit, under
vacuum, for a period of time, and observe whether the vacuum is retained.
If the system holds the vacuum, then it can be recharged, as it means there
are no leaks;

As far as what to recharge the system with, there are many alternatives
including R134  ;  I have had excellent results with
http://www.autofrost.com/
and there are others such as Hot Shot R-414B,
http://autocool-refrigerants.com/ and http://store.lenzdist.com/

There is a very comprehensive chart of the various substitutes, and their
properties at:  http://www.heco.net/TheTruth.htm

You can also do some comparison pricing of the substitutes at :
http://www.koolit.net/

Finally, all a/c systems need to have a specific quantity of refrigerant oil
present. With no oil in the system, the compressor will seize over time.

John Hertog

Yahoo! Groups Links