
[Chrysler300] 413 engine & trans
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Chrysler300] 413 engine & trans
- From: "John J. Hertog" <crossram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:37:05 -0400
Hi Lee,
Allow me to pay Devil's Advocate here.
1/ Why would the trans not "work" (bolt up) to a 62 and later crank ?
2/ There is a company that makes a conversion kit for the later Toqueflites
to pushbutton operation
3/ Shorten driveshaft
Many, many years ago I obtained a '60 Saratoga 2 door hardtop rolling car
w/ no drivetrain in it save for the rear. I also obtained a 70? 71? Newport
car... had a 400, 727.... I had very little money at the time and nothing
better to do so I transplanted the Newport drivetrain into the Saratoga. It
was just about a no-brainer ! The engine and trans fit in with NO WELDING
and NO MODIFICATIONS ! the '71 Newport drivetrain fit like a glove - even
the Y-pipe, and the driveshaft fit in with no alterations needed. All I
needed to do was figure out a shifter for the trans, and that was about it !
So I really think that the motor home trans MAY work providing one used a
post '61 engine . One may have to shorten a driveshaft...and play wiht the
crossmember... if I had such a trans here I'd love to try it ! Much
superior setup, probably has heavy duty everything and part-throttle
kickdown.
John Hertog
----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee Meyer" <js23rob@xxxxxxx>
To: "'Gary Barker'" <gbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; "'John J. Hertog'"
<crossram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "'listserver 300 club'"
<Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 10:25 PM
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] 413 engine & trans
> That trans wont work either, crank to converter issues, non pushbutton
> compatible, different tailshaft setup and length, etc.
> Lee in San Diego
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> On Behalf Of Gary Barker
> Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 1:27 PM
> To: John J. Hertog; listserver 300 club
> Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 413 engine & trans
>
> Hi Guys, I have a 72 Pace Arrow motor home which is on a Dodge
> Chassis. Lee was right about the engine, But I have often thought about
>
> using the tranny as a replacement for the old cast iron Torqueflight.
> I sure don't know why it wouldn't work and it would be plenty Heavy Duty
>
> for the job. Might be a crankshaft / Torque converter problem Gary
> Barker
>
> John J. Hertog wrote:
>
>>To Lee and all,
>>
>>The person who e-mailed me the ad also sent me pictures of the
>>engine/trans - I barely looked at them. However, after reading Lee's
> post,
>>I went back and peeked more carefully. Sure enough - water pump sits
> a lot
>>higher than on any RB motor I've ever seen !
>>
>>Thanks Lee. Good to learn something new... I was not aware that
> motorhome
>>413's were so different .
>>
>>Interesting to note that the trans. has a parking brake assembly on it
> not
>>unlike our 300's ... wonder what that is all about... I had not
> noticed
>>that either...
>>
>>John
>>
>>
>>----- Original Message -----
>>From: "Lee Meyer" <js23rob@xxxxxxx>
>>To: "'John J. Hertog'" <crossram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "'Chrysler 300 Club
>>Listverver'" <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 10:08 PM
>>Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] 413 engine & trans
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>>Please be advised that the 413 motorhome engines are NOT useable in an
>>>automotive application. These engines have completely different cyl
>>>heads and water cooled intake manifolds. Their water pumps are
> installed
>>>higher than the carb, so hood clearance would also be an issue. So,
>>>unless someone needs another motorhome engine, avoid this one.
>>>Lee in San Diego.
>>>
>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>>>On Behalf Of John J. Hertog
>>>Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 5:36 PM
>>>To: Chrysler 300 Club Listverver
>>>Subject: [Chrysler300] 413 engine & trans
>>>
>>>Hi to all,
>>>
>>>Someone recently posted a "want ad" for a 413. This person read it,
> and
>>>has such a critter for sale. Here is his ad. Anyone interested, please
>>>reply to him directly at: duncman@xxxxxxxxxxx !
>>>thanks
>>>John Hertog
>>>
>>>----- Original Message -----
>>>From: Duncan & Karen Yahn
>>>To: John J. Hertog
>>>Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 8:28 PM
>>>Subject: Re: Chrysler 300
>>>
>>>
>>>Sure. I was doing a google search on Mopar 413's and came across a
> post
>>>on your group's bb from someone looking for a motor. I don't have the
>>>post anymore, but basically I've got a complete '72 413 c.i. with a
> 727
>>>Trans for sale. Here's the posting I've been spreading around
> complete
>>>with pics:
>>>
>>>
>>> '72 413 ("RB" big block) Dodge truck motor and 727 auto trans
>>>complete. Runs great! $1000 o.b.o. Removed from wrecked motor home
> with
>>>approx 60,000 miles. Engine probably has less miles than what it came
>>>out of and wasn't damaged in the collision. All parts are there except
>>>elec harness and accel linkage. Otherwise the distributor, 4bbl carb,
>>>all manifolds, air cleaner, A/C compressor, etc, are. Stamp numbers
>>>are... First line: "HT 413" Second line: "4 25 2". If you don't have a
>>>key handy, this interprets to : 1972 Truck* motor, 413 c.i., built
>>>April, 25th and was the 2nd engine assembled that day. Although it is
> a
>>>little dirty, this engine has been stored out of the elements. Motor
> ran
>>>great while in the motor home and doesn't have any apparent leaks.
> Since
>>>I'm not the original Motor Home owner, the history is a little vague.
>>>Because of over-paint on the valve covers, etc, this may be the second
>>>engine or the original one rebuilt. Location is in Fort Collins, CO
> for
>>>pickup or engine will be shipped if buyer pays costs for crating and
>>>shipping (approx $300 depending on destination).
>>>
>>>
>>> * "Truck" designation meant less emission equipment and a cam
>>>designed for more torque.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>There you go,
>>>
>>>Dunc
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>To send a message to this group, send an email to:
>>>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>
>>>For list server instructions, go to
>>>http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm
>>>Yahoo! Groups Links
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>To send a message to this group, send an email to:
>>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>>For list server instructions, go to
> http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm
>>Yahoo! Groups Links
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
> To send a message to this group, send an email to:
> Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> For list server instructions, go to
> http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/8LmulB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->
To send a message to this group, send an email to:
Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For list server instructions, go to http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chrysler300/
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Chrysler300-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Back to the Home of the Forward Look Network
Archive Sitemap