[Chrysler300] Engine trouble still - Part II - 65 300

[Chrysler300] Engine trouble still - Part II - 65 300

Ok, you guys are great! I've had lots of ideas thrown at me already and will
do some more investigation with all of the theories in mind. Just wanted to
be a little more clear on what I have done to date.

The gas in the tank has been topped with fresh gas regularely over the
course of 4 years since I last drove the car. BTW - I drove it from San
Francisco to Vancouver without any problems whatsoever in 2001.

I have replaced the coil, points (but not the condenser) as it is still
breaker point ignition, fuel pump, filter(s). I do have a good supply of
fuel to the carburator both from the tank and through the gravity feed
method. My rational for the separate fuel supply was to run fresh fuel
directly to the engine. The carb has been disassembled several times to
check the float levels and blow out all of the passages again to ensure
nothing is plugged. No water, no sludge, nothing abnormal.

I will try replacing the coil with the old one just in case and I will pick
up a new condenser just in case. One thing I did notice that led me to
bypass the ballast resistor and to hotwire the ignition was that both
plastic connector covers at the ballast looked like they had been overheated
and melted slightly. I don't recall seeing that when I installed it months
ago. Maybe I'll get a new ballast resistor as well? Another thing though, my
other '65 300 had a condenser(?) or capacitor attached to the Neg side of
the coil and attached to the base of the coil bracket. This car never had
one when I got it. What is the purpose of that item?

Thank you to all of you for all your great advice! Ryan Hill