[Chrysler300] Still starts, then dies...the saga continues '65 300

[Chrysler300] Still starts, then dies...the saga continues '65 300

Thanks so much to all of you for taking the time to help me troubleshoot the
engine problem on my 65. I wish I could say I found the problem but I can't.
Here's what I've done.

- I have good fuel supply right to the carb (Yes, I did check the fuel pump
actuator rod anyway)
- I tried another coil, no difference.
- I installed a new condenser, no difference.
- I checked the ballast, it's fine.
- I had checked the accellerator pump, the floats, and the needle/seats
months ago when this   problem first presented itself.
- I seem to have good vacuum for the short period the car runs.

I'll try and explain exactly what is happening and if anyone interested has
any more ideas I'd welcome them. I think I'm looking for the carb experts at
this point to be honest.

The car won't run long enough to warm the engine so all of these symtoms are
occuring with a cold engine. Choke on, one pump on the accelerator, turn the
key and it fires up almost immediately. When it starts it sounds good and
runs smooth but only briefly comes down to idle before either choking or
starving for fuel and stalling.(total running time usually less than 5
seconds) Once stalled, it starts back up right away without touching the
throttle; this leads me to believe it is flooding when it stalls and the
engine is restarting on the residual fuel in the intake. (BTW- the idle
screw is turned back all the way currently but throttle plate position
doesn't seem to have any effect on the symptoms)

If I start the car with about 1/4 throttle, it takes longer to start and
runs at a fairly high rpm for a short period then dies. Once the engine is
running, any attempt at trying to keep it running by pumping the throttle
kills it in short order. I have seriously considered a vacuum leak but I've
never had a vacuum leak that would allow an engine to run smoothly when
running, then die completely.
My vacuum gauge and the cars 'performance indicator' are both showing good
vacuum levels for the short period it runs.

I'm going to tear into the carb again, this time armed with an original
manual, and see if I can locate any glaring errors. The only thing I wonder
about is the primary and secondary metering jets,(installing them in
reverse) but the car did run quite well to begin with when I was first
breaking in the cam on the new engine so I'm pretty sure I got them right.

Thanks for all the support. Ryan Hill (Vancouver, B.C.)