Re: [Chrysler300] 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst running poorly - help !

Re: [Chrysler300] 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst running poorly - help !

Stephen:

Hopefully, you will get lots of ideas from our more proficient
mechanics, but the first that comes to my mind is fuel quality.  What is
left in your tank may be really crummy old stuff and even have condensed
water in it.  Heet is essentially alcohol and can absorb some moisture.
Other recent suggestions include inspecting the distributor to be sure
the advance plate can move smoothly without pulling apart electrical
connections, replacing the condenser, monitoring input voltage at the
coil during start & run cycles., inspect all connections and the
ignition shunt resistor.  '70 440's were still pretty decent engines
with minimal pollution control, so should do much better when the
problem is found.  Vacuum advance hose can deteriorate and crack at the
ends.  I'd sure pull a plug or two and clean and gap if any problems are
noted.  Check air cleaner for mouse nests and proper operation of
temperature control apparatus.  The last fellow with a similar problem
put his old coil back on and the problem went away.

Good luck and keep us posted on what works and what does not work.
Information and problem solving involving keeping this old iron running
well is of interest to us all.

C-300'ly
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA