[Chrysler300] 62 heater- no heat diagnosis

[Chrysler300] 62 heater- no heat diagnosis

    Hi there, Cold Bill

    Let's try to get you warmed-up.  There are only three reasons I can
think of why there would not be heat, or sufficient heat, in the car.

1/ There is no thermostat in the engine, and therefore the coolant is
staying cold. Is the temperature gauge on the dash showing that the engine
is operating at normal temperature when warmed up ?  If temp needle shows
engine is at normal temperature, on to next step.

2/ The heater control valve is not opening when the lever is moved to the
"hot" position on the dash.  First, check to see whether the cable that runs
from the dash control to the heater valve is still connected at both ends !
Easier said than done...  you may have to remove the cardboard glovebox...
if you're nimble, you may be able to reach with one hand behind and above
the cardboard glovebox, all the way at the top corner of the dash - and feel
the heater control valve with your hand; move the lever with your other hand
and "feel" whether anything moves at the valve...

The other solution is to just bypass the heater control valve entirely -  by
rerouting the heater hoses - it's easily done. Drain off some antifreeze rom
the radiator, disconnect the short section of hose at the heater box end ,
disconnect the long hose that runs TO the heater control valve at the valve
end, and connect it directly to the heater core. The valve is now totally
bypassed.

3/ If there is still no heat, then you have a vacuum actuator / door
problem.  Not a big deal, but let's check the above two first and please
report back !

John Hertog
Sag Harbor NY