[Chrysler300] 300 H engine rebuild

Hello,

Mike Meyer and Fern Rivard have been very helpful to me with info for the rebuild work I have underway on the 413 engine for my H.  I'm at the stage where I know enough to be dangerous so I wanted to share some info with the Club members and make sure I'm not going to get myself in trouble.

I feel I have a good engine rebuilder working on my motor, so I feel good about that.  By my figures with the .040 cylinder overbore being done,  the engine will be 421 in3.  The heads I have are from a 300J/K and have 73.5 cc comb. chamber volume.  By my calcs this translates to 11.74 cr with no head gasket.  With a .060 head gasket the cr drops to 9.88.

The rebuilder is also cleaning up/reboring the main journals.  This moves the crank centerline up a little bit ( .002 -.005?) which in turn moves the pistons up a little bit, thereby also increasing the cr a little bit.   The rebuilder says they grind a bit off the bearing caps and then rebore, so that is why the centerline location changes a little.

Is a cam with the original 300 H specs going to be OK?  What would be the best choice of head gasket thickness (I'm assuming I have some range of thickness choice).  I would like a nice/fast car when I'm done and also not be a lot of trouble to keep running good.  The rebuilder thinks the original H cam specs would be fine and that the cr changes are not significant with respect to the cam choice.

Any help  or suggestions will be appreciated.

Also, Bruce Naimy has helped me with supply of some needed engine parts (oil pan, starter, etc.); however, Bruce is now away on a project and unavailable for parts.  Would anyone have the rear main bearing seal housing for a 413.  I'm not sure exactly what it looks like, but imagine it is a sheet metal housing connecting to the bell housing and sealing to the oil pan.

Thanks,

Carlton

Yahoo! Groups Links