RE: [Chrysler300] Dave Clelland's G, Concours or show!?

RE: [Chrysler300] Dave Clelland's G, Concours or show!?

Well I have had 6 letter cars, four of these were original paint
unrestored cars. An F, a G, a J and a K. none had any signs of paint on
the door latches, same with all the other 60-61 cars I have had so I'm
not buying it. Perhaps some of the cars did and some didn't, due to
different production plants or assembly times or whatever. Hood hinges
were kinda the same way it seems, some painted, some not. I would
consider this more of an assembly line goof more that the way it should
be but that is up to the owner.
To me it seems there are two ways to do a correct restoration. You can
duplicate all the assembly line flunkies mistakes and poor build
quality, also paint drips, dry spots and overspray, make sure the panel
and trim alignment is only adequate at best and there you will have a
car like it was when new. With a crossram car make sure it doesn't run
that well too.
Or, you can restore the cars the way the designers envisioned them,
without the assembly line mistakes and shortcuts, fully detailed like
they envisioned these cars. This is how I like to do my cars and I
believe most people like to see them that way as well. I am fairly
confident that at auction a well detailed car will bring more dough as
well. Remember the black 300G convert at Barrett last year? Brought
something like $206,000. That car was a 10 year old Greg Groom resto
that Jeff Carter did a bunch of work to for that auction, nice highly
detailed car and it brought more dough than any other car to date as far
as I know.
Now some of you are going to start moaning about that its not about the
money and yadda yadda. Well, I think that's crap. Everyone was watching
the auction and this listserver was going bananas during that time,
wondering if their own car is going up in value etc. now, you may not be
interested in selling your car but I would be willing to bet if the
price gets high enough that rig is down the road. If you don't sell it
your kids will. At the estate sale. I'll be there.
Enough rambling for now.
Lee in San Diego