RE: [Chrysler300] Replacement Battery

As many of you know, I have had an interest in original batteries for our
Brutes for years.  In 1982 I compiled a collection of copies of original
MoPar battery sales literature as offered by the Chrysler dealer parts
department.  I have illustrations of every MoPar battery offered from 1950
to 1965.

Please note, I am talking about MoPar REPLACEMENT batteries, not necessarily
what was put in the car at the factory.  I can't speak for other years, but
I do know that the 300G had an AutoLite installed from the factory, as the
brand name can be seen in at least one magazine article published when the
car was new.  Also, the AEA Tune up spec's list AutoLite and Willard as the
correct battery for the 1961 Chryslers.  If I was going to seek out the
absolutely most "correct" battery for a 300G (and probably other years) I
would contact the vintage battery companies offering same and buy a group 27
Autolite.  I have seen them advertised in the past year or so and I think
they are available from New Castle battery.

The molded case "MoPar" battery looks nice, but really isn't correct,
because the MoPar script was on a label, not molded in for the years
1958-1962.  That's why I would go for the Autolite if I could find it.
Having said all that, due to the cost of the battery and shipping and all, I
buy generic looking black case group 27 batteries locally and put on one of
the MoPar Forward look stickers I had made up way back in the early '80s.
They look good in the engine compartment and for a car that is driven and
enjoyed I can replace it for about $50.

Bob J
Danville, CA

Yahoo! Groups Links