[Chrysler300] Rebodying anyone

Hi group

Thank you John (H). It feels good to know that the club officials stands up for the current club constitution trying to encourage preservation of these cars rather than the creation of them. Kind of brave of you to put it all into the open but also kind of neccessary. I want to share with you all a small comment from Sweden, where some of the top chops made by Mr Glassel finally ended up.  The dedicated letter car owners and club members over here knows pretty well were these cars are at the moment, and don´t get me wrong, they are most of them, not to say all, very nice restored automobiles. A pleasure for the eye, but legit?   Let´s drop the issue for a while because it will be kind of in the eye of the beholder, or rather up to the presumptive buyer of any of these cars to make his(or hers) final consideration, and frankly, here in Sweden, the price premium on a letter car compared to an equally nice N:Y or Windsor is not all that substantial as in the US.   For all you hungry wolfs out there; We had a nice G-conv for sale over here last summer asking less than USD 60k, and I mean nice, and this car is still by it´s original owner. Didn´t sell, and pls bare in mind that the owner had it already for 25 years and well before the time when people started to chop roofs of any original coupe car (which would be all fine by me if done correctly and not imposed to be a original conv, but a modified coupe as actually is, windsor, NY, 300 or anything).  Many such do excist and primarelly they are (made into) Caddy Eldo convs (more Biarritzes now than originally made?) and Classic Chevy convs.

So, as a final contribution from my side, let´s be, as a contrary to what John just said,  hypothetical for a while.  There is a record on how many letter cars, each year, and type (coupe or conv) that were originally made VIN# by VIN#.  What will be in the end (my guessing) is that all of those cars will again be brought (back, but only in same cases then) to life if the moderate opinion on what is acceptable (pls do not read possible) to do will be allowed to rule . At least it will surely be the case with all the Chrysler letter car convs made 57-61 for sure.  So now, let´s be hypothetical for a while;  If able to also re-make new VIN tags and allowed to move around with them and two people at the same time looks up in the club VIN-register on what convs(or letter car coupes for that matter) have been junked, and the very same two (not to say twenty) people deside to use any, the very same, of those VIN-ids for their efforts.  What will be the opinion of the concourse judges if then appearing at the same time at the very same meet?  (Two or more cars using the very same VIN-id).

Ok folks, Sorry for making such a simple short story all this long but the matter is of great concearn and I´m not into this hobby primarely for the money but for the beauty of these cars.  Let´s conclued by stating that we keep our eyes open also in this country for what could be going on trying to at least make presumptive buyers of any car aware of it´s true origin and to make you all aware if a duplica (EVEN IF ORIGINALLY A TRUE LETTER) would surface and possibly turn for the mega bucks level of prizing at B:J in the US.  Need to say no more.

Best regards
Ulf,  3N57 2660

Yahoo! Groups Links