Re: [Chrysler300] Replacement Battery

Bob Jasinski wrote:

>Tony and list,
>
>I received the following email from George Riehl yesterday in response to my
>battery post.  George shares some background on the "Auto-Lite" brand that
>was unknown to me prior to his email.  Please read the attached, as a repro
>"Autolite" battery, without the hyphen as in "Auto-Lite" is a Ford
>replacement and technically NOT correct due to the hyphen.  Due to this
>small but important detail, I would say that there really isn't a "correct"
>repro battery offered by anyone I am aware of.  I suppose the closest thing
>would be the MoPar type with the molded case, but as I said before it's not
>what was in the car from new either, as the MoPar batteries offered in the
>late '50s and early ''60s used a label, not a molded script.  Does anyone
>make a "Willard" group 27???  That would be correct as best as I can tell.
>
>Bob J
>Hi Bob;
>
>Just a note to set things right. "Autolite" name is not to be used on any
>Chrysler product. Reason why? The Autolite name is owned by Ford Motor
>Company. (Autolite Spark Plugs, etc.) When Ford bought "Auto-Lite" years
>ago, they had to spend over a million dollars to remove the hyphen in
>Auto-Lite under the terms of purchase. "Auto-Lite" was exclusivly made for
>Chrysler Corp. in the early years. When A-L was sold, Prestolite come into
>the market.
>
>"MoPar" (Motor Parts Division) was a division of Chrysler as a supplier of
>"rebuilt" parts and other factory authorized parts, not always "made" by
>Chrysler. "MoPar" parts could be sold under that name by an "authorized"
>
>independent parts supply house approved by Chrysler. Those suppliers also
>had to pay a "royalty" on parts so named back to Chrysler.
>
>It is interesting to note that some cars that are "authentically" restored
>show "Autolite" batteries or "MoPar" which are not correct as factory
>installed. Willard and Auto-Lite batteries were original equipment up to
>somewhere in '63 - '64.
>
>On another note, the 27 series batteries came in two styles, one for Ford,
>one for Chrysler. The difference, the Ford pos. and neg. posts were opposite
>of the Chrysler posts.
>
>Ah, trivia!
>
>George Riehl
>

>  _____

Bob and group,
     I have a Willard group 27 in my "C" supplied by Antique Auto
Battery, Hudson, Ohio.  I am
on my second battery since resto in 2000.  Hate to throw those hard
rubber cases away but they
won't rebuild them. This is the closest thing to a true tar top that is
available.  As you probably  know, the filler material is a poured
urethane that is hard with the appearance of a soft top.  As of
a year ago, they were still available.

                       Regards,
                       Dave Geise  - NJ

Yahoo! Groups Links