Re: [Chrysler300] Torqueflite trans

Having rebuilt many pumps in steam generating stations, I would suggest heating in an oven to insure even heating/expansion.  While there is not as much mass as large pump impellers and wear rings, it's a method I would employ.  However, I would wait for my wife to be away from the house before attempting.

  Dave M

JAMES PRISTELSKI <ajp0002@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  Further info on replacing the torque converter ring gear:

  The manual tranny in 1961 has a different diameter ring gear on the flywheel.  Since not many manual trannys were sold, it is fairly common.  Make sure that you get the correct one.

  Also, the ring gear is a tight fit on the torque converter.  As described in the 1960 shop manual, you will probably have to heat the ring gear with a torch to slightly expand its diameter to get the old one off.  As I recall, it recommends preheating the new one in an oven, rather than with a torch, to expand it for installation.  However, I would bet that my welding friend used his torch for that as well.

Yahoo! Groups Links