RE: [Chrysler300] '56 Power Steering Hose

RE: [Chrysler300] '56 Power Steering Hose

John, Gil, and 1955 Chrysler product owners with power brakes on their cars:

My 1955 C300 is in the shop where I had my mechanic pull the master cylinder
and the Kelsey-Hayes booster.  I hot-shotted the booster to Power Brake
Exchange in nearby (60 miles) San Jose where I visited with Martin, the guy
that works on these engineering masterpieces.  His observations confirmed
mine that the unit had probably never been overhauled as it had an ID tag
affixed by one of the screws on the booster body.  Only 78,000 miles in 51
years-heck, nothing seems to last.  Warranty has long since expired.  Unit
had apparently totally failed as it took both feet jammed hard on the brake
pedal to slow down the brute.  Good thing the pedal is double-wide.  Great
planning!

Martin says they manufacture six special parts for the rebuild and will
resleeve the master cylinder bore if required.  He gave me their catalog
that shows they can provide service on power brake boosters for MoPars 1950
to date.  The catalog shows the same booster for all 1955 Plymouth, Dodge,
DeSoto and Chryslers.  Also, they show most US iron from the '50's and a lot
of foreign stuff.  Member Mike Galassi and others report good service from
Power Brake Exchange and I expect the same, but I will report results and
price.  An entry at the Imperial Club pages indicates less than satisfactory
service from them by one member.  They also provide rebuild service for
power steering pumps and rack and pinion units.

Contacts:
Power Brake Exchange
260 Phelan Ave.
San Jose, CA 95112
800-322-1775
408-292-1305
Fax: 408-294-68117
Their website at www.powerbrakeexchange.com has been dead for several weeks.

Original Cylinder
6853 Suva St.
Bell Gardens, CA 90201 (Near East L.A.)
562-806-6661
Fax 562-806-3570

Anyway, Martin suggested gold zinc coating/dipping the booster body.  Does
that seem to be an appropriate finish for this piece or would it be better
to just retain the rather dull looking cad/zinc finish?

Also, are there any helpful hints for my mechanic as he installs the booster
and sets the linkage?

John L. or anyone:  Please make a mental or written note to chase down the
brand, part number and source for a proper length/proper end connection 1955
power steering hose-either a direct installation or requiring different
fittings???  Do any replacement fittings need to be steel or is brass OK?

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 Chrysler C-300 (whoa Nelly)