Re: [Chrysler300] 14 Inch Replacement Wheels

Re: [Chrysler300] 14 Inch Replacement Wheels

Hi Rich,

You sent me the following message on June 15th, 2006:

Thanks to many for lots of good discussion on a seemingly simple
element--the wheel.  As further information, the 15" X 5.5" wheels on my
1955 C-300 have two nubs or raised spots, one on each side of the valve
stem hole.  There are corresponding ears on the wheel covers to prevent
rotation.  My wheels also have the four air cooling slots and the
necessary additional five holes to allow locating the wheel on the
locating pin.  The pin is required for lineup as the wheels are fastened
to the brake drums with studs, not lug nuts.  If the Stockton 15" wheels
don't have the locating holes and cooling slots, I don't think they
would be right for the 1955.  I understand the locating pin can be
ground off with the net result being some additional difficulty in
mounting a wheel.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA (30 miles west of Stockton)
1955 C-300
Basically your bottom line was "If the Stockton 15" wheels
don't have the locating holes and cooling slots, I don't think they
would be right for the 1955."

Stockton can not reproduce the cooling slots!
Therefore, can not reproduce the C300 wheels.

Regarding the original wheels, yes they will flex more with radials.

Members report hubcaps rotating with radials when they did not with bias ply
tires on original wheels. Presumably from more flexing. Original wheels also
have been reported to catastrophically fail.

Regarding the replacement Stockton wheels, they will not flex and are made
for radial tires.

Sorry to all 15" owners.
I am told that they have a 15 inch wheel that they have made and is part of
their catalog but NO slots.

Respectfully submitted,
Tony Rinaldi

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/8LmulB/TM