Re: [Chrysler300] Front disc brake conversion....red loctite?

Re: [Chrysler300] Front disc brake conversion....red loctite?

Hello 300'ly to all!
     I converted all four wheels to the AAJ Brake kit.  My C stops like a
modern car and gives me much more driving confidence.  I gave the drums
away. We had to make a indentation on the last 1.5 inches of the spark plug
wire cover closest to the firewall on the driver's side to clear the master
cylinder edge. This was preferable to machining the cylinder casing since
Rodger of AAJ Brakes could not stand by the master cylinder in terms of
potential failure should any machining be done to the master cylinder
casing. It was funny in that the master cylinder cleared the end of the wire
cover with the old engine mounts, but when we replaced the old engine mounts
the new ones raised the engine about 1/4 - 1/2 inch and rested against the
casing.  Then there was concern about pressure being placed on the master
cylinder casing with torque rise by the engine when starting off in reverse
gear. The indentation is barely noticable and clears the edge of the master
cylinder by about 1 inch nicely. If you have the rear brake kit and it HAS
WELDS to secure the brake calipers DO NOT RELY ON THIS ASSEMBLY TO HOLD UP
UNDER BRAKING PRESSURE.  There are drilled holes for #8 carriage bolts and
make sure that you SCREW IN THE CARRIAGE BOLTS AND DO NOT RELY ON THE WELDS!
I had one of the first rear disc brake conversion kits from AAJ installed in
the spring of 2004.  Upon decelarating from 70 mph to a complete stop the
weld on the right rear broke. Fortunately no damage was done to the disc or
the caliper assembly.  I at first thought the drive shaft dropped out from
the loud bang that occurred.  Not so.  When going in reverse it sounded like
a coke bottle rattling in the rear fender (know the sound...father-in-law's
1974 Coupe DeVille had one placed there by the factory....dumb trick by the
factory worker since my father-in-law was a GM distributor). Put it up on a
lift and low and behold...the caliper assembly was rocking back and forth.
Rodger almost choked when I told him.  Something about an ego problem with
his son-in-law who did the welds.  Rodger paid the $108 for the 4 carriage
bolts (2 on each side) and labor to install them.  He subsequently was to
have modified the kit and installation instructions to include the carriage
bolts. Rodger also was going to try to modify the design for the shape of
the corner in question of the master cylinder to clear the wire cover. I
don't know if that design change occurred.  ROB KERN