[Chrysler300] Gas Tank Pressure!! - reply

[Chrysler300] Gas Tank Pressure!! - reply

Hi Mike,

300F's use a NON-VENTED  gas cap, as the tank is internally vented thru a
vent tube.   Vented gas caps are for tanks that are not otherwise vented.
However, the 300F does have a vent tube and something must be wrong in the
venting department if there is any pressure, be it positive or negative
pressure, being built up inside the tank !

I suggest you look at your 1960 service manual, page 27 of the Fuel System,
fig.40. ;  it clearly shows the venting system.

Mike, I have no idea why you should end up with positive pressure in your
tank.  That is just plain weird.  Maybe some other list member will have
some idea as to what THAT is all about.

However, I do suggest that you check out your tank venting system. If you
get under the car, you will see (or should see), on the driver's side of the
gas tank, that there is a metal tube that runs the length of the tank, from
the rear by filler neck, to the front of the tank.  It terminates by the
left side strap that holds the gas tank in place, and then there's a short
piece of rubber hose that connects it to another short piece of metal tubing
that attaches to the underbody of the car, close to where the rear shock
absorber mounts to the body.

You should be able to remove the gas cap, and then blow air through that
venting system backwards - perhaps something is plugged up or clogged.

But I am mystified as to why you'd have positive pressure in the tank.

John Hertog

Sag Harbor NY

  _____