Re: [Chrysler300] Timing is everything

Removing the vacuum line and plugging it is a precaution.  Sometimes if the idle speed screw is set too high, for example if the idle mixture screws are set too lean, and the spark advance port is uncovered by the throttle plate, then vacuum advance could be present under idle conditions.  If this were the case, it would lead to a retarded basic timing setting, and the amount it would be off would depend on how much of the vacuum advance port was uncovered when the setting occurred.  Removing the vacuum line just ensures the basic timing is accurate and most of the time if you don't remove the line, you end up allright anyway.   The basic purpose isn't to ensure the idle is smooth when setting the timing.
Steve Albu

Yahoo! Groups Links