Re: [Chrysler300] The Belt Jumpin' Blues

On Aug 19, 2006, at 12:15 PM, Rich Barber wrote:
>   I wonder if the idea of double belts
> in this application is somewhat for redundancy.  One might fail-and if
> it
> doesn't take out the other, the engine might keep on fanning or
> generating.
> The old single belts were getting huge and thick before the wholesale
> switch
> to dual belts.

I think that two belts cuts the load in half per belt.
> ------------------------
> Belts must be getting better as I don't see so many in the road or big
> old
> iron parked beside the highway with hoods up and steam erupting.

Belts are much better today which is why you seldom see them on the
road.

>  And the serpentine belts have become a standard and expensive
> maintenance item.
> Their thin grooves do tend to crack early.

These belts have a very long life in all my experiance as a dealer
tech. I don't think I ever replaced one for a failure in 5 or more
years.

regards, Ray

Yahoo! Groups Links