From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jack Farris
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2006 5:41 PM
To: mallyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Chrysler300
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] The Belt Jumpin' Blues

The last time I looked for matched belts (bundled together), I
couldn't find any. What I did discover, however, after sorting thru
Napa's supply, is that each belt has it's own unique markings
depending on where it was cut from the master roll. Luckily, I found
two that were cut adjacent to each other. Because of the long span
between the compressor and the alternator on B and RB engines fairly
equal tension is especially important. Often, the pulleys don't line
up too well, which also contributes to belt wobble and throwing.

At a car show the other day, I noticed that a Jenson Interceptor had
a (factory appearing) tensioner mounted about halfway between the
compressor and alternator (JI's have RB engines)--a good cure for
curing belt wobble.

Jack

On Aug 18, 2006, at 7:31 PM, Matt Allyn wrote:

> So after 27,000 miles on my new 413 for our '62 300 Sport I decided
> to get the A/C charged.  Neat thing, this cool blowing air inside a
> car!
>
> So today I have the A/C blowing away and I hear a slight squeal
> start in under the hood.  I push OFF, pop the hood to see the front
> of the two A/C-Alternator belts has jumped the track and is now
> hanging out in front of the compressor pulley.
>
> Thoughts on the cause?
> Belts too tight before?
> I know they were not too loose before the jump.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Matt Allyn
> Exec. in Charge of Prod.
> Granada America