[Chrysler300] re urethane brand spelling, and a hint

[Chrysler300] re urethane brand spelling, and a hint

Thank you to Warren Anderson who picked up on my mis-spelling the urethane I
found a good substitute for restapling window felts and rubber flaps etc on
early 300s - the correct spelling of one recomended urethane is "Sikaflex" -
that is sika with a 'k', not a c in Sicaflex as I originally had.  And I
think the actual Sikaflex used here is known as Sikaflex 277, or 227, and
ours although German origin originally, has 'made in Japan' on the cartridge
you put in a caulking gun.

Normally I never advise/support recommending things to others, but for over
10 years now, the use of this particular brand seems ever wider, especially
in better resto shps/businesses, and it certainly is way better than
cheaper/others ones encountered.  Prior to this one used say 3M's Drip Check
Sealer, or Seam Sealer - this an off white more runny good means of sealing
metal join areas iin car bodies, it widely used in near all US GM products
in late 50s-60s.

Chrysler/Mopar however seems to have used bitumen/tar based sealers of metal
join areas, and where the cabin floors under the carpet of of say a 300C
meet the inner vertical rockers is where one would find this.  Today one
would use Sikaflex there, and if I can make a suggestion, also UNDER the
floor in same area needs sealing  EVEN THOUGH THE FACTORY DID NOT.

Reason for this is Chrsler made a MAJOR BOOBOO/ERROR here - they sealed the
cabin, where water never likely gets, yet NONE/NOTHING on the bottom area
where water gets every time used in wet!!!

Result - if one pulls up carpet on a typical 300C/D, and floor often can
look perfect at outer edges edge where sealed - HOWEVER, get a
screwdriver/narrow scaper, peel some up, and HORROR HORROR, water that has
come in from underside/UNDERNEATH has rusted under the tar, especially if
any has started to lift, or been pushed by rust as it spreads unseen from
below.
And in a 300C/D, in a Mopar maybe 'fauxpax', the floor edge sits in/on a
double dogleg fold made in the vertical rocker sheetmetal, so not only does
rust of your floor here take out your floor, it also takes out your inner
rocker's strength/integrity.  Not very clever at all - in near all other
marques, the floor is seperate to the rockers, not a key structural weak
spot - in them floor can rust, but riockers not affected too badly, or if at
all.

So as a suggestion, if you have never done anything to protect/stop water
getting into this area from underneath, either (just using a spray can if
easiest) spray a really good anti corrosive paint/expoxy into this upper
outer floor edge from underneath, or use the Sikaflex, albeit in a very
narrow bead if you do not wish to lose points in concours judging.
It is a big job to do inner rockers, likely means removing outer ones/lower
body skin behind door, so better to protect it now, rather than push
luck/fate further? Plus clearly today's Urethanes offer better protection
than the old bitumen/tar.

Sorry for so much space on this, but anything that helps re our cars can be
worthwhile?  That is why I also mentioned that TV program "Top Gear" above
the many other often too ordinary ones - where possible it features in real
down to earth manner/language/visuals comparisons of our loved 50s-60s
marques to todays new ones, and so it/this can often re-inspire us ,
re-invigorate us, if we are sometimes jaded/defeated/cornered re
work/problems on our particular 300s - and too much of that can surely never
be too bad a thing?!  Although I do not think they have featured early 300s
yet, having recently done competiton lapping XKE Jag versus Aston DB5, and
other such as mid 50s Maserati 250 GP car, etc, the day must be near, and
all it might need is someone offering a car?? - leave that one with you.

Christopher in OZ

Yahoo! Groups Links