Re: [Chrysler300] Seatbelts

Andy Mikonis wrote:
> More on seatbelts.  I have a 1961 MoPar Accessories
> catalog dated September 1960.  The only seatbelts
> referred to are "Composed of aircraft-type gray nylon
> webbing."  They do look quite dark in the illustration
> - and nubby as Gil calls it.   For " 1961-'60 Chrysler
> "300" " they indicate a p/n 1902291 which someone
> crossed out and wrote in " Use 2 of 2162312."
> Interestingly, they catalog also notes "Special floor
> reinforcements are not required.

> Andy

> --- lettercars@xxxxxxx wrote:

>>Hi Brandt and All:
>>Several weeks ago Brandt raised a question regarding
>>the availability of
>>colors other than black in dealer
>>installed/aftermarket seat belts.  At  that
>>time I think I stated all my information indicated
>>black only.
>>Well, I have since come across a "Mopar Accessories"
>>bullitin which
>>indicates otherwise---at least for a short period of
>>time.  I cannot read  the
>>complete date at the bottom
>>(-----BER, 1961), but 1960, 61, and 1962 vehicles
>>are included.  Guess  it
>>would have to have been issued during one of the
>>last four months of 1961  then.
>>  At any rate, It describes a Universal Seat Belt
>>package, PN  2298 749 for
>>front or rear seats, all models, available in red,
>>green, royal  blue, navy
>>blue, maroon, black, beige, and gray.  A picture of
>>the box is  shown and one can
>>read "Mopar" on it, as well as "Hickok", the
>>supplier.   The buckle is of the
>>metal to metal type, and the fabric can be seen as
>>the  "nubby" texture, NOT
>>like the 1962 and later material we are familiar
>>with.  Also specified is a
>>grommet, PN 2161 510 which is apparently needed  on
>>1960, 61, 62 New Yorker and
>>300s with carpeted seat backs, as well as 1960-61
>>Windsors with the
>>carpeting.  Don't know what that is about.

>>Now, a 2nd Mopar Accessory Announcement----the one I
>>originally refered to,
>>and dated March 2, 1962 seems to superceed the
>>above.  It states that the
>>same seatbelts NOW standard equipment on the 300H
>>are available for dealer
>>installation in all 300 and 300H vehicles.  These
>>are the ones with the 300
>>medallion on the buckle. (PN 2421 446 front and 2421
>>447 rear)  These are
>>specifically stated to be available in BLACK only.
>>Perhaps the Hickok  belts continued
>>to be available for non-300 models.  Something sure
>>must have been.

>>300ly, Gil Cunningham

As far as using 'nubby' seatbelt material,  IF you are planning on
driving the car, AND actually using the seatbelts for safty reasons,
finding 'nubby' webbing is a real question mark in my opinion.

IN my work we only used rated safety belt webbing that was current
rated. Couldnt be over 2 years old,  even ladder tiedowns.

I stumbled across some new still in box late 50's/early 60's seatbelt
sets. They had the 'nubby' webbing.  I am using the metal hardware but
replacing all the webbing with new. I prefer (heaven forbid it should
ever be put to the test) fully functionable trustworthy seatbelts to the
gamble almost 50 year old material presents over broken body parts.

--
Paul Holmgren
2 57 300-C's in Indy

Yahoo! Groups Links