Re: [Chrysler300] 300C Rear End?

Hi Mark

There are 3 different interchangeable 8-3/4" gear carriers...

"741 case" , "742 case" , "489case"

They are all interchangeable, but are different based on the pinion. The 741
case has a smaller pinion diameter ( 1-3/8") and bearing  than the 742
(1-3/4") while the 489 has a 1-7/8" tapered pinion and uses the crush collar
to set pinion depth. The 741 is correct for your car I believe. The 741 is
sometimes considered  to be "not high performance" due to its smaller pinion
but it holds up well. (Chrysler went to the 742 case around 1962 or 1963
because the max-wedge cars were breaking the 741 pinions) For racing you
would use the 742 or the 489. The posi unit in the 741 and 742 is arguably
considered to be better than that in the 489.  The 741, 742 posi units are
clutch units while the 489 is a "cone-spring" unit. The posi units are
interchangeable in all three cases provided you use the appropriate side
bearings.

As such, the #'s on the carrier have no relation to the axle housing.

Disclaimer: The above epistle is based on my limited knowledge and I'm sure
others can expand it.

Jeff Miklas