[Chrysler300] re 1957 300C metallic brake linings

[Chrysler300] re 1957 300C metallic brake linings

My first 300C purchased in Los Angeles in Feb 1980 still has metallic front
brake shoe linings, and the car had stood for maybe 15-20yrs before I got
it, so the linings may be orig Mopar issue? (All of the 'flat for years
until ruined' tires were original late 50s/300 issue.)

Key point however is it has brilliant brakes, you can lock them at maybe
60-70mph if you really push on the pedal, and around town at 20-40mph you
can bury the car into the bitumen with the modern 235 radials I have on it.
The other 2 300Cs I have, the brakes on the supercharged car are good, but
do not seem to have same initial bite, whilst the other 300C, the brakes
seem pretty ordinary, sort of like my 57 TBird, or the 58 Caddy, ie other
mid-late 50s US cars.

When I see all the US 300 members putting discs on their late 50s 300s, I
wonder have I got the only set of killer 300C brakes? - they are still the
original late 60s -early 70s material - I have never relined them - the
material has obvious metallic material/particles showing when you look at
them.

I can check the supercharged car's linings to see if they metallic, plus the
other one too, if other members think it worthwhile, but first see if any
others remember if years ago metallic was fairly common re their/any other
300Cs, or maybe other early 300s ?!

The metallic linings on my first 300C may not be original though, as the car
had/has professionally mounted/fitted  rear traction rods/bars, a non stock
bigger solid cam, and had a few small old late 50s aftermarket hot up
company stickers under the hood, such as Hillderbrand (sorry if mispelling),
and had evidence of being (painted) metallic metalflake deep candy red, with
the hood letters and washer nozzle holes lead wiped/filled - so hardly a
virginal/stock car for it's few years of use before left, from likely mid
60s, to bleach in LA sun before I got it - it looking so sad Customs here
thought it purchased just to import drugs/firearms in !!??

Do not know if all this is any help,

Christopher in Australia

Research and compare new cars side by side at carpoint.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F833884&_t=54321&_r=hotmail_endtext&_m=EXT