RE: [Chrysler300] 6V Jump Starter

Hi, Johan & all:

I have looked for a 6-V jump start pack but found none.  I jump started many
6-Volt cars with 12-Volt batteries back in the Midwest winter 50's when the
12-Volt battery Voltage was probably lower due to the cold weather.  I have
jump started mine with 12-Volts, but feel this could be damaging to the
ignition and/or charging system. I also recall some cars like the big old
straight-eight Packards had 8-Volt systems.  The 6-Volt light bulbs usually
were rated at 6-8 Volts and I imagine the few accessories on a C-300 would
work just fine on 8 Volts.  The radio and fuel gauge are questionable.
Whether the generator and Voltage regulator could be set up to keep the
battery charged is beyond my expertise or memory, but seems it could be
done.

I do keep a second full-charged 6-Volt battery in the trunk for emergencies.

I'm sure you have seen all the electrical tips for our C-300's, but to
review:

Positive and negative cables size to be proper and connections corrosion
free.  Voltage regulator and/or trickle charger set to keep a full charge on
the system.  Perhaps a multi-viscosity oil for cold Swedish climate.

I have found a Group 2 battery that has some extra power.  It is a
Workaholic (By Interstate Batteries) Group 2XHD, 600 CCA, 750 CA.  You might
be able to find something similar at a boat or recreational vehicle dealer.

If I can keep some gasoline in the carbs, the car starts well.  I have not
yet solved the incredible disappearing gasoline problem, but a hot block
tends to evaporate the fuel from the glass bowls and carb bowls and requires
removal of the air cleaner and priming the carbs with gasoline to get a hot
start after sitting a while.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA