Re relays for Electric Window Motors

There shouldn't be any problems in using what we used to call the "auxiliary lights" relays or "horn relays" we have been used for years to trigger the horn in vehicles equipped with radio telephones and two way radios when a call was received. We have found that those compact relays worked just as well as the larger normal horn relays but these had the advantage of being very compact and very inexpensive to replace. Also, remember that the duty cycle of operating power windows is not for such a long duration and not repeated that often. Just my 2 cents worth from Fern in cold wintery Cranbrook SE British Columbia

----- Original Message ----- From: "whuff" <whuff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "Paul Holmgren" <paulholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Marshall Larson" <yelof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Cc: <chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <hurst300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <Chrysler300E@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 8:56 PM
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Subject: Electric Window Motors

The possible sources of the relays are good to know.

One of the reasons I went with the larger heavier relays rather than
a newer and more compact design was that I had some doubts about the
design of the smaller relays.  I believe they are primarily made for
resistive lighting loads where a straight across the board amperage
rating will work.

The motors should appear to be  almost a dead short on starting until
they rotate and a reverse EMF is built up.  On opening, the relay
contacts may also have to withstand an inductive kick that could drag
a spark across small contacts that didn't open quickly or far
enough.  Over time, my thinking went, and still does, these
conditions may pit or damage the contacts, leading to a short
life.  If anyone has experience with the Bosch type relays used as
motor controllers, I would like to hear from them.

Gee, if I could only find my old MG, I could get some relays from
Lucas, Prince of Darkness.  :-D

Bill Huff